May 24, 2013
- Dan Sligh and his wife were headed for a Memorial Day camping trip yesterday evening when the Interstate 5 bridge over Washington's Skagit River collapsed ahead of his Ram pickup. Sligh said he saw a big puff of dust after a tractor trailer struck a portion of the bridge, and the roadway quickly vanished into the river below. While he applied the brakes, the momentum of his truck and trailer propelled the couple right over the edge. While speaking with reporters, Sligh said he held on as tight...
May 17, 2013
- GM stockholders, especially the large stockholder in Washington, DC, have reason to rejoice: Today, GM shares “topped their 2010 initial public offering price, which will help the automaker’s largest shareholder, the U.S. Treasury, pare its losses,” Reuters says. The price in the November 2010 IPO was $33.00. Today, the stock rose as high as $33.58 [...]
May 13, 2013
- For decades, General Motors' LS V-8 engines have been a favorite of hot rodders, since GM builds them by the minute and their pushrod construction makes them easy to tune. Now a Washington shop has gone where few other craftsmen fear to tread by messing with the basic design of the aluminum LS to build [...]
May 11, 2013
- Washington — U.S. safety regulators on Friday opened a preliminary investigation into more than 100,000 Chevrolet Corvette sports cars after complaints that headlights suddenly died.
May 10, 2013
- Washington — The government has sold another piece of its stake in General Motors Co.
- Washington — U.S. safety regulators on Friday opened a preliminary investigation into more than 100,000 Chevrolet Corvette sports cars after complaints of sudden loss of headlights.
May 6, 2013
- Washington — General Motors Co. is recalling nearly 43,000 newer vehicles sold the United States for fire risks that are equipped with the company's eAssist mild hybrid system, the automaker said Monday.
- WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Treasury Department said on Monday it will begin another round of sales of the General Motors Co stock it acquired during the government's bailout of the U.S. auto sector.
- Washington — The Treasury Department filed a new trading plan to shed its remaining 241.7 million shares of stock in General Motors it acquired as part of a $49.5 billion bailout, but didn't speed up its exit timetable.
May 3, 2013
- Washington — Shares in General Motors Co. closed Friday at their highest level in nearly two years on better-than-expected earnings and a jump in employment figures.
- General Motors is the first automaker among 40 major U.S. companies, including IKEA, L'Oréal, Symantec, Unilever, and Adidas, to sign a “Climate Declaration.” They are calling for policymakers to address climate change by promoting clean energy, boosting efficiency, and limiting carbon emissions. “We want to be a change agent in the auto industry,” said Mike Robinson, vice president of Sustainability and Global Regulatory Affairs at GM. “As our world faces issues...
April 27, 2013
- Washington — Top executives at General Motors Co. and Ally Financial Inc., won't get cash salary pay raises this year, as the Treasury Department's pay czar took a tough line Friday.
April 26, 2013
- Washington - Top executives at General Motors Co. and Ally Financial Inc., won't get cash salary pay raises this year, as the Treasury Department's pay czar took a tough line Thursday.
April 25, 2013
- The electric car needs a jumpstart. It’s not unexpected and it should not be a deterrent to moving forward with production. After all, emerging technologies are more expensive than the prevailing alternatives and each has its own idiosyncrasies that must be overcome. English: 2011 Chevrolet Volt exhibited at the 2010 Washington
April 24, 2013
- Toyota still holds the title of World's Largest Automaker. The Japanese automaker ceded the claim to General Motors in 2011 following a series of natural and man-made disasters that stifled production in Asia. Production is back up to full speed and, coupled with the introduction of a new Camry midsize sedan, Toyota retook the title in 2012 and has so far been able to keep it by selling 2.43 million vehicles in the first quarter of 2013. The race is still tight - General Motors reports sales...