July 25, 2014
- Political and economic uncertainty in Eastern Europe and South America hit the bottom lines of General Motors and Ford during the second quarter, acknowledged executives the Detroit-area automakers. Russia and Brazil were a drain on profitability and it's likely to continue. For more on the situation, click on TheDetroitBureau.com.
- The company already has an established Ann Arbor presence, as it owns Ann Arbor Suburban Chevrolet Cadillac, Suburban Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram and Suburban Alfa Romeo and Fiat.
July 24, 2014
- After launching 60 recalls covering 29 million vehicles this year, as well as a highly-publicized recall of a deadly ignition switch default, General Motors Co.'s second quarter profits took a hit.
- The fallout from the ignition switch recall and other safety-related problems cut deeply into General Motors’ profitability for the second quarter, the maker reported. But there were some good signs, nonetheless, reports TheDetroitBureau.com, including the booming margins on GM's new full-size SUVs.
- Cadillac’s next-generation CTS-V sedan has been spotted at the Nürburgring and on some of the German race track’s surrounding roads. Like previous CTS-Vs, the new one, due out next year as a 2016 model, will pack a V-8 engine, helping to differentiate it from the smaller ATS-V that's believed to be equipped with a...
- General Motors anticipates it will spend at least $400 million to recompense victims of a defective ignition switch so far linked to the death of at least 13 people, though the figure could run as high as $600 million, depending upon how many people qualify for the program. Both numbers are lower than expected. To get details, go to TheDetroitBureau.com.
- General Motors Company’s [NYSE:GM] European division Opel has confirmed it will drop the Ampera extended-range electric car when the car's global twin, the Chevrolet Volt, is replaced next year by all-new model. That doesn’t mean Opel is giving up on electric cars, as the automaker’s CEO Karl-Thomas Neumann has confirmed via a...
- GM today said 10 vehicles have started production with its new OnStar 4G LTE, including the 2015 Chevrolet Malibu, Impala and Volt and 2015 Buick Regal and LaCrosse that are currently on dealer lots.
July 23, 2014
- After a brief reprieve – and hints that the worst of its safety problems had ended – General Motors has announced another six recalls collectively covering more than 700,000 cars, trucks and crossovers. More from TheDetroitBureau.com.
- Buick was at death’s door just a few years ago. A staid image and a mandate to cut down the number of brands in its portfolio, it looked like it would be heading to the scrap heap of automotive history. However, Buick's made a comeback perhaps topped off by a sparking review of the new Regal by Consumer Reports, according to TheDetroitBureau.com.
- In a series of tweets Wednesday morning, Opel CEO said the company plans to replace the Detroit-built Opel Ampera with a new electric vehicle in the coming years.
- If you’re a Sith Lord with a taste for four-wheeled speed—and let’s face it, landspeeders are just undignified—this one-off creation is just what you’re after. Due to debut at Comic Con July 23rd, this Darth Vader car packs more than just a mean look. MUST SEE: 5,000-HP, 348-HP Devel Sixteen Spotted In The Wild: Video...
- General Motors Co. is delaying the launch of its in-car app shop indefinitely. Phil Abram, GM chief infotainment officer, said the Chevrolet AppShop, which the Detroit-based automaker announced in January, did not meet the company's expectations to launch this summer.
- Acura’s all-new NSX supercar has been spotted at the Nürburgring, and this time it’s almost certain to be wearing the sheet metal that will appear on the final version we’ll see in showrooms next year. We can see a number of features on the car never before seen on previous concepts and prototypes. Lexus will reportedly...
- While there’s plenty of reason to doubt the factuality of the Devel Sixteen’s claims of 5,000 horsepower, we now know, at the least, that it’s not total vaporware. It has been spotted out and about on a beach near Dubai. ALSO SEE: Darth Vader Hot Wheels Car Gets 526-HP Chevy V-8, Sinister Design: Video The oddly shaped, somewhat...