March 4, 2014
- General Motors broke ground on its biggest investment in Flint in more than a decade Monday, March 3, as company, union and city leaders celebrated the $600 million paint shop addition at Flint Assembly plant.
- Don’t come to the Geneva Motor Show if you’re a hot hatch fan. You’ll only come to realize just how many of these pint-sized powerboxes we don’t get on the Western side of the Atlantic. And lucky Europeans are getting another one with the debut of the Opel Adam S. To see the new hatch, go to TheDetroitBureau.com.
- Work has begun in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Back in mid-February, a massive sinkhole opened up directly underneath the Skydome at the National Corvette Museum. Eight unfortunate Corvettes that were on display dropped into the hole, and the damage estimates began swirling in. These are extremely rare machines, and they had just (literally) fallen...
- They're among thousands of people attending the South By Southwest (SXSW) music, film and interactive conferences and festivals that kick off Friday in Austin, Texas.
- General Motors Co. today reported its U.S. sales last month slightly declined from a year ago. GM reported February sales declined about 1 percent to 222,104 vehicles sold. Officials attributed the decline to severe weather conditions.
March 3, 2014
- General Motors’ European unit Opel is planning to launch a new crossover SUV as its flagship in 2017, according to a new report, one inspired by the brand’s Monza concept unveiled at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show. The report was first published by Auto Bild (via Automotive News), and also mentions that the new crossover will be built at...
March 1, 2014
- As much as we love the Porsche Cayenne’s combination of outright speed, comfort and practicality, it’s just a little too big to be driven with abandon. Enter the all-new 2015 Macan, which not only looks superb but drives brilliantly as well. Engineers from General Motors’ European division Opel have revealed a wild concept based...
February 28, 2014
- Chevrolet plans to make another advertising splash during another huge television event: the Oscars. The maker is airing a 60-second film by South Korean filmmaker Jude Chun, who beat out 23 others, during the telecast. It's also had ads during the Super Bowl and Winter Olympics. For more, go to TheDetroitBureau.com.
February 27, 2014
- Former General Motors Co. CEO and chairman Dan Akerson will serve on the Lockheed Martin Corp. Board of Directors. The Maryland-based defense contractor Thursday announced that its board of directors elected Akerson to the position.
- "We're getting more efficient," said company president James Staargaard of the Walker plant, which five months ago started mass-producing hood and roof panels for the 2104 Chevrolet Stingray.
- Chevrolet worked extremely hard to hone the performance edge of the new 2014 Camaro Z/28. We know this from our brief bit of seat time in the vehicle at the Milford Proving Grounds, and by taking in all of the technical tidbits the engineers could lay on us before our brains grew dizzy. There's bits about the spool valve dampers, measures to get...
- U.S. safety regulators have begun a probe into General Motors’ response to a safety defect that caused 13 deaths, a series of recalls the automaker now admits wasn’t “robust” enough. The NHTSA investigation could lead to major fines, reports TheDetroitBureau.com - while GM is facing other legal risks.
- Mention "Yenko" in GM circles and most will think of the Camaro Yenko. But Don Yenko is also known for another model, based on the Corvair--the Yenko Stinger. MUST SEE: The Story Behind The World's Fastest Nissan GT-R: Video It's this model that features in Jay Leno's latest video, and it's another car straight from Leno's own personal collection...
February 26, 2014
- The 2015 Yukon Denali offers buyers a way to step up from the more conventional version of GMC’s full-size Yukon sport-utility vehicle. For parent General Motors, meanwhile, the Denali offers a way to make even more substantial profits in a market segment it dominates. For more, go to TheDetroitBureau.com.
- In 2002 Opel revealed a wild concept based on its Astra that essentially packed all the best bits from various racing versions of the popular compact into a single package that would be drivable on the street. Now, just a few days out from the 2014 Geneva Motor Show, Opel has revealed a successor based on its latest Astra OPC, and this one’s...