May 21, 2013
- In the mid-90s, the pop band Barenaked Ladies sang out scenarios for their fantasy, "If I had a million dollars." Today, in Silicon Valley and due north in Redmond we have a new version playing out where Yahoo, Facebook and Microsoft are all figuring out what they would spend a billion on.While the targets -- Tumblr, Waze and Nook -- make for fascinating discussion of fit and valuation on their own, together they show something interesting about the future of these goliaths beyond the personal...
May 20, 2013
- That the electrifying opening -- a dark, tight, frantic shot of Ken Cosgrove; a speeding carful of drunken, jowly old men; and a gun -- was not even the strangest moment in last night's "Mad Men" episode tells you just how bizarre it was.In "The Crash," drugs, sex and late 60s psycho-spiritual mumbo-jumbo dominate, and not just as historical decorations. These themes actually wend their way into the agency's work. Time and place are out of whack and the characters are rambling, their lines both...
May 18, 2013
- This weekend, the Australian V8 Supercar Series heads to America for the first time in its storied history. Tackling the new Circuit of the Americas track in Austin, Texas, Australia’s V8 Supercars will complement the World Challenge race at the same venue. 28 cars in total will be competing in the inaugural event with Ford, Holden, Nissan,... more
- The 2013 World Challenge season is heading to the new Circuit of the Americas track in Austin, Texas this weekend and you can catch all of the action live streaming online. The World Challenge Cadillac Sports Car Challenge at Circuit of the Americas is already playing host to some of the fastest race cars in... more
May 16, 2013
- GMC debuted the standard cab version of its 2014 Sierra pickup today in a press release about the truck’s aerodynamics. In it, GMC says the 2014 Sierra spent more time in a wind tunnel than any of its predecessors. The tunnel, which is 750 feet long, generates winds up to 138 mph. The release shows... more
- Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) has revealed its Gen-F model lineup, based on the VF Commodore but packing plenty more power under the hood. The lineup consists of the Clubsport sedan, Maloo pickup, Clubsport R8, Maloo R8, Senator Signature, and the ZL1-powered GTS. The Clubsport and Maloo models are powered by General Motor’s 6.2-liter, LS3 V8... more
- Lexus, the purveyor of gold-plated Toyotas is serious about improving its products. The latest result of this passionate pursuit is the 2014 IS sports sedan, but is it ready to quarrel with segment leaders like the BMW 3 Series and Cadillac ATS?
- Corporate influence on education is a touchy subject, but when it comes to data-science education, corporations and academics are commingling more and more. Companies including General Motors, GlaxoSmithKline, Hearst, Verizon, Yahoo, Independence Blue Cross and IBM are fostering symbiotic bonds with colleges and universities: Companies provide problems and the research data to potentially solve them, not to mention sponsorship dollars. The schools, in turn, create a well-trained data workforce...
- Big, quiet, comfortable and affordable, the Buck Enclave makes for an attractive luxury-level SUV. If only it had a luxury interior.
May 14, 2013
- Sometimes, it is not hard to improve on a product. We can’t imagine there were too many developers at Microsoft who said “No sir, we can’t improve on Windows ME.” Same can be said for the designers at Chevrolet. Things most likely not heard around the office in the past three years “Nope. No way... more
- General Motors announced today that it will begin selling a small cargo van based on heavily on Nissan’s NV200. The van will be called the Chevrolet City Express and will be available in fall, 2014 as a 2015 model year. “Our fleet customers have asked us for an entry in the commercial small van segment,... more
May 13, 2013
- Strategic Vision has announced the winners of its 2013 Total Quality Index (TQI), with American automakers reinstating their position in some very competitive segments. Measuring quality since 1994, Strategic Vision not only factors in counting problems but includes multiple aspects of influence and perception that customers use as a base for their purchasing decisions. This... more
May 12, 2013
- Each week, we recap the most popular videos from AutoGuide‘s YouTube channel just in case all seven days passed you by and you missed out. This week, AutoGuide travelled out to Texas to check out and review the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado. 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Review SEE ALSO: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Review 2013 Ford Fusion vs 2014 Mazda6 SEE... more
- The Chevrolet Cruze Diesel is rated at 46 mpg on the highway, giving it the potential to get at least 700 miles to a tank. But on a recent trip by Tessa Baughman, an energy engineer for General Motors, she was able to net 900 miles on a single tank cruising at 5 mph below... more
- This week on AutoGuide.com, the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado Review attracted the most attention. For 2014, Chevrolet gave its half-ton a full redesign complete with three new engines: a 4.3L V6, a 5.3L V8 and a 6.2L V8. All these motors feature direct injection, cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing to help the 5.3-liter equipped truck achieve... more