March 31, 2014
- Sometime in the prior decade I was part of a bleary-eyed band of journalists arriving in Tokyo during a General Motors press trip.
- Some of the vexing questions looming over General Motors' decadelong failure to recall cars with a deadly ignition-switch defect could get answers this week -- or at least a more glaring spotlight.
- Every year, and for the last 10 years or so, I've made my way to the Canadian International Auto Show in my tester car of the week. This year was no different. I typically try and get something that fits as many of the “road trip” criteria as possible. In other words, the car has to be fast, quiet, comfortable, decently economical and (at this particular time of the year) sport AWD. Enter Cadillac's flagship XTS sedan. The 2014 XTS4 Vsport Platinum is at the absolute peak of...
March 30, 2014
- General Motors and its suppliers repeatedly botched a basic function of the Chevrolet Cobalt and Saturn Ion #8212; the system that turns the cars on and off #8212; leading to multiple redesigns of the ignitions.
- When Bill Trautwein offered to buy his daughter a car to drive to college classes, she went for the blue one -- a used 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt that matched the color on the Florida Gators uniform her big brother wore on the way to two national...
- General Motors issued two more safety recalls late Friday, covering 490,000 new full-sized pickups and SUVs as well as 172,000 Chevrolet Cruze models, bringing the total number of GM callbacks this month to six.
March 29, 2014
- Instead of portraying an ELR buyer as smug and boastful, Ford hits on the same themes that Cadillac did -- hard work, entrepreneurship and environmentalism --- and paints the buyer of a C-Max Energi as someone who wants to make a difference.
- GM has dispatched Cadillac chief and former head lobbyist Bob Ferguson to Washington, D.C., to help steer the company through the crisis surrounding its handling of the ignition-switch recall.
- General Motors is requiring Chevrolet dealers to stop selling some 2013 and 2014 Cruze compact cars for an undisclosed issue, marking another setback as GM grapples with the crisis created by last month's recall of 1.
March 28, 2014
- General Motors is telling Chevrolet dealers to stop selling some 2013 and 2014 model year
- The train is, in many ways, the enemy of the automobile.
- Cadillac plans to open several test-drive centers, stand-alone service facilities and pop-up storefronts across western Europe. The idea is to expose prospective customers to Cadillac products without forcing them to visit a dealership.
- Of the eight deaths in Chevrolet Cobalts that GM has said may be related to faulty ignition switches, seven occurred after April 2006, when GM says it approved a redesign of the part now being recalled, according to research by Automotive News.
March 27, 2014
- Rule Number One of advertising is, "kick 'em when they're down." Or was that Sun Tzu...or
- Chevrolet has taken the wraps off the pace car for the