March 31, 2015
- GMC, riding a hot streak in sales of utility vehicles, introduced a face-lifted version of the midsize Terrain today ahead of its debut at this week's New York auto show.
- The 2016 Chevy Camaro will weigh in at 200 pounds lighter than the fifth-generation model, which will put curb weight for the SS versions at about 3,700 pounds and LS and LT models at about 3,500 pounds.
- Hyundai said it aims to commercialize autonomous driving capabilities in some of its cars in 2020, as the automaker plays catch-up with carmakers such as Mercedes and General Motors in the increasingly competitive technology.
- SUV gets new grille, fascia; Feds seek OK to stop sales for 'imminent hazard'; Magna interiors sale?
- The redesigned 2016 GMC Terrain and Terrain Denali were introduced today ahead of their public debut at the New York Auto Show. Pricing will be announced closer to their Canadian on-sale date in the fall of 2015.
The new Vauxhall Astra is likely to go on sale towards the end of this yearAll-new Astra will offer better interior quality and new exterior styling, and looks set to be unveiled towards the end of this year The next-generation Vauxhall Astra has again been spotted testing ahead of going on sale towards the end of this year.These late-stage prototype models feature new headlight and tail light designs compared to previous models, and...
- Why Toyota CEO feared losing job; Tesla plant could aid rivals; Chevy's big ad push; Mazda sets MX-5 pricing.
March 30, 2015
- Fiat Chrysler will achieve five full years of U.S. monthly sales gains #8212; if it can post an increase for March. The streak has been propelled by daunting sales goals set for each dealership.
- Here's a question that will hang over Cadillac's unveiling of the CT6 sedan in New York this week: Why is a brand so badly in need of a sales boost fixated on all that low-volume sheet metal?
- Chevrolet this week will roll out a major advertising campaign, doubling down on the spoofy "focus group" imagery it has used in its rollout of the Colorado pickup.
- Automotive News has won the Grand Neal Award for its coverage of the General Motors ignition-switch recall crisis.
- To boost the 2016 Chevrolet Volt's electric-only driving range to 50 miles from 38 on the outgoing first-generation car, engineers reduced the number of cells in the battery pack by about a third, to 192 from 288.
- Chevrolet will offer a full-hybrid version of the redesigned Malibu that debuts this week at the New York auto show.
- In reference to Richard Truett's observations about Cadillac, I am dismayed by the humble (defeatist) tone in the latest marketing effort ("De Nysschen, 'Dare' I say, needs a better plan to reconstruct Cadillac's image," March 2).
March 29, 2015
The LF-SA is said to preview a new Mini and Audi A1 rivalLexus’s designs are polarising opinion. As European boss Alain Uyttenhoven reveals, that’s exactly what they should be doing Can a car manufacturer come of age? Lexus’s European boss seems to think so.“We’re 25 years old now,” says Alain Uyttenhoven, “and I’d call that the end of puberty. We’re about to become a grown-up company.”That new-found maturity manifested itself at the...