May 7, 2013
- On TheDetroitBureau.com, read about LG Chem’s much-maligned production facility in Michigan that is finally going to begin lithium-ion battery production in July. The plant makes batteries for the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid sedan.
May 6, 2013
- The sprawling white plant east of Holland will produce batteries for the Chevrolet Volt and other electric vehicles once it has completed its "Production Part Approval Process" and gained customer approval, company officials said.
April 3, 2013
- Unexpectedly strong demand for the Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S suggest that the battery-car market might finally be sparking interest with American buyers. But as TheDetroitBureau.com cautions, not all battery-models turned on buyers last month, notably the Chevrolet Volt.
March 18, 2013
- General Motors Co. may downsize the engine in the Chevrolet Volt and Cadillac ELR, according to a report by autoevolution.com.
February 28, 2013
- With its new Cadillac ELR soon to come online, with new markets opening abroad and with its Chevrolet Volt now eligible for access to California’s coveted commuter lanes, General Motors hopes to increase production of its plug-in vehicles by as much as 20% this year. But TheDetroitBureau.com looks at whether the market will cooperate.
February 25, 2013
- The upcoming Cadillac ELR extended-range electric coupe will be a halo car in more ways than one for GM’s premium brand. Its primary mission is to carry the Voltec powertrain torch into an entirely new segment than the existing Chevrolet Volt, but doing so requires a new level of interior craftsmanship. As ELR interior design manager Keith...
February 14, 2013
- Built at a cost of $303 million, the 600,000-square-foot plant east of Holland was supposed to begin production of batteries for the Chevrolet Volts and the Ford Focus EV by mid-2012. Company officials predicted it would employ up to 440 workers.
February 12, 2013
- Strip away the 2014 Cadillac ELR’s sculpted coupe body, and underneath beats a heart very similar to the one in the Chevrolet Volt sedan. You would think, then, that launching a comparable car would be a simple task, with engineers able to breeze through already-completed tests, such as cold weather driving and calibration exercises. Perhaps...
January 23, 2013
- The 2014 Cadillac ELR has been given the mildly ironic nickname "Coupe de Volt," in honor of its Chevy Volt-based underpinnings--and Cadillac's legendary Coupe de Ville. This March, the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance will feature the original prototype of the Cadillac Coupe de Ville by Fleetwood, a car that hasn't been shown to the public in 64...
January 22, 2013
- Say what you may about plug-in electric cars, the 2014 Cadillac ELR unveiled at last week's Detroit Auto Show is a stunning piece of design. The four-seat range-extended electric luxury coupe is little changed from the Cadillac Converj show car that debuted four years ago at the 2009 Detroit show. Its 20-inch wheels are pushed to the outer corners...
January 17, 2013
- Despite the slow start-up of sales, “The electric car is not dead,” GM President Mark Reuss insists. The maker “couldn’t be happier” with its Chevrolet Volt despite missing its sales target years running. But Reuss also hinted battery car prices could be coming down, reports TheDetroitBureau.com.
January 15, 2013
- When it comes to range-extended electric vehicles, the concept of delivering fuel economy up to 100 miles per gallon equivalent isn’t all that foreign; after all, the 2013 Chevrolet Volt delivers 98 MPGe. What the Volt and other range-extended electric vehicles fail to deliver is 800-plus horsepower and a full-size pickup truck body. Enter...
- Bob Lutz, who was the champion of the plug-in electric Chevy Volt when he was at GM is now working with a company to convert Fisker plug-ins to conventional cars. TheDetroitBureau.com has the story.
- The Chevrolet Volt-inspired ELR engine produces 295 foot-pounds of torque and can take the heavier Cadillac 35 miles on electric power before the engine kicks on, with a driving range of 300 miles on one tank of gas.
- The luxury coupe, which features powertrain technology similar to the Chevrolet Volt, is meant to be ''a statement car'' for General Motors Co.