January 28, 2014
- With a base price of $75,995 (including destination), the 2014 Cadillac ELR luxury coupe costs more than twice as much as the Chevrolet Volt it shares much of its running gear with. That may be the car's biggest drawback. That's why it's not surprising that Cadillac plans to sweeten to deal with extra equipment, and not just a set of wheel locks...
January 6, 2014
- At the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show taking place in Las Vegas this week, Chevrolet announced the first of its models that will be offering as an option the high-speed connectivity that only 4G LTE can provide. Those initial models include 2015 model year Corvette, Impala, Malibu and Volt that launch this summer. They will be followed by the...
December 17, 2013
- General Motors' Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant has begun shipping the 2014 Cadillac ELR luxury coupe to dealers, ahead of the car's January on-sale date. The beginning of ELR production marks the return of Cadillac to Detroit-Hamtramck, which also builds the ELR's twin, the Chevrolet Volt. The last Cadillac built there was the 2011 DTS sedan...
November 21, 2013
- About 50 company employees and guests applauded as a forklift eased the last of 50 crates, each containing nine batteries, onto a semi-truck bound for Chevrolet assembly plant in Brownston, MI.
October 16, 2013
- General Motors Co. this week announced that Apple’s intelligent personal assistant’s “Eyes Free Integration” will expand to the 2014 Camaro, Cruze, Equinox, Malibu, SS and Volt. The system was previously available on Chevy Sonic, Spark and Spark EV models.
October 11, 2013
- The 2014 Cadillac ELR, the Wreath-and-Crest brand's first plug-in car, will go on sale in January. The ELR will start at $75,995, including destination. That's more than twice the price of the Chevrolet Volt it's based on, and about $15,000 higher than had been generally expected. A $7,500 Federal tax credit might alleviate some of that sticker...
- Cadillac will introduce its first battery-car, the plug-in 2014 ELR, in January. Sharing the basic underpinnings of the more mainstream Chevrolet Volt, it will test the waters for more up-market battery vehicles – with Caddy determined to “tackle” rival Tesla Motors. As TheDetroitBureau.com reports, those makers aren't the only ones targeting the up-market opportunities for battery power.
September 19, 2013
- Infiniti's still-new boss Johan de Nysschen is not afraid to speak his mind on a variety of topics. Today, he's talking about Infiniti, and how it needs to "de-Americanize" itself to succeed. De Nysschen has previously mocked American efforts to build an extended-range electric vehicle, (in)famously pronouncing the Chevrolet Volt to be a "car for...
August 13, 2013
- When GM introduced the Chevy Volt, officials said there would be many improvements to be made on the first generation model. As birth the next-gen Volt draws near, it seems that GM is making some of those adjustments. To find out more, read the story at TheDetroitBureau.com.
August 6, 2013
- Hoping to get potential buyers to plug in, Chevrolet is giving the Volt a jolt by cutting the extended-range electric vehicles price by $5,000 for the 2014 model-year. GM is the latest maker cutting battery-car prices hoping to boost sales, reports TheDetroitBureau.com.
- General Motors Co. is lowering the starting price of the Chevrolet Volt by $5,000. The Detroit-based automaker Tuesday said the 2014 extended-range vehicle will start at $34,995, including an $810 destination fee.
June 28, 2013
- There've been some big recalls lately, like the 1.5 million Jeeps targeted this month, and little ones such as the 689 Aston Martins also recalled in June. But the first-ever recall of the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid appears to set a new record. TheDetroitBureau.com explains why.
June 11, 2013
- With signs that sales of its Chevrolet Volt battery car could be coming unplugged, General Motors is offering potential buyers as much as $5,000 in incentives – making it the latest maker to try to cut prices in a bid to boost lagging demand for electric vehicles. More from TheDetroitBureau.com.
May 7, 2013
- On TheDetroitBureau.com, read about LG Chem’s much-maligned production facility in Michigan that is finally going to begin lithium-ion battery production in July. The plant makes batteries for the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid sedan.
May 6, 2013
- The sprawling white plant east of Holland will produce batteries for the Chevrolet Volt and other electric vehicles once it has completed its "Production Part Approval Process" and gained customer approval, company officials said.