July 18, 2014
- A new eight-speed automatic transmission will come standard on some 2015 Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra and GMC Yukon Denali/Yukon XL Denali models with a 6.2-liter EcoTec3 V-8 engine, GM said today.
July 1, 2014
- Another week means another round of recalls by General Motors: The automaker has just announced three new ones covering 473,788 vehicles in North America. The first recall affects 466,940 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra (2014-2015) pickup trucks as well as Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban and GMC Yukon/Yukon XL (2015) SUVs. The transfer case may electronically switch to neutral without input from the driver, so dealers will recalibrate transfer case control module software. The second recall...
June 19, 2014
- J.D. Power's 2014 U.S. Initial Quality Study was released yesterday. Porsche came out on top with just 74 problems per 100 vehicles, followed by Jaguar (87), Lexus (92), Hyundai (94), and Toyota (105). The industry average is 116 problems per 100 vehicles. At the bottom of the rankings, you'll find Mazda (139), Scion (140), Mitsubishi (145), Jeep (146), and Fiat (206). Here are the top nameplates for every vehicle segment according to J.D. Power: Small car: Hyundai Accent Small SUV...
June 17, 2014
- General Motors is now recalling 3.36 million vehicles in North America (the vast majority in the U.S.) because the ignition switch may inadvertently move out of the “run” position if the key is carrying extra weight and experiences some jarring event. There is an effect on power steering and power braking. Also, the airbags may not deploy. GM is aware of eight crashes and six injuries related to this recall. Affected models include: Buick LaCrosse (2005-2009) Chevrolet...
June 9, 2014
- GMC was the oddball when GM went through bankruptcy in 2009. With other brands easily cut from the portfolio, many believed GMC should have been ditched as well. General Motors is now proving the naysayers wrong. The Sierra HD is the exact same trunk under the skin as its Chevrolet Silverado HD stablemate. There's virtually nothing mechanically differentiating the two models. Yet, this is one case where badge-engineering makes sense as it makes General Motors truckloads of cash. Pickup...
June 2, 2014
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR GRAHAM KOZAK: You know you're getting horribly spoiled when you hop in a heavy duty pickup and, after glancing around the interior, think to yourself: and#8220;No sunroof? This is bullshit!and#8221;
May 27, 2014
- GM's new heavy-duty line of pickups is a significant update over its predecessor. While most changes were for the better, there are still some lingering issues that carry over from the previous generation. Photo: Mark Stevenson 10. The Good: They are “library quiet” Back in the day of barebones work trucks, it was hard to escape the loud diesel under the hood, noisy suspension, and every other auditory nightmare. However, with the new HD...
May 22, 2014
- Memorial Day weekend is one of the busiest times of the year for car dealers around the country, but the recent spate of recalls and stop-sale orders for GM vehicles will be putting the brakes on a lot of potential sales.
- GMC introduced the 2015 Sierra All Terrain HD on Thursday with limited changes ahead of an expected on-sale date sometime this summer. A 6.
May 21, 2014
- Waterton Lakes National Park, AB -- The heavy-duty pickups from General Motors are just the ticket for those who use their pickups to work, providing towing and payload capability on par with the F-250/350 and RAM 2500/3500. However, the Chevrolet Silverado also gives those blue-collar working folk a nice place to relax between job sites. To find out everything there is to know about General Motors' updated 2500 and 3500 series Silverado, they sent us to Alberta's Waterton Lakes...
May 20, 2014
- The auto industry's saddest running gag right now is arguably General Motors announcing yet another recall, except today we're talking about four separate U.S. recalls all at once, affecting 2.42 million vehicles. The number of units affected by these recalls in Canada has yet to be determined. First, 1,339,355 Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia crossovers from the 2009-2014 model years, as well as Saturn Outlooks from 2009-2010 have front safety lap belt cables that can fatigue...
May 19, 2014
- As General Motors tries to revitalize the images of Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac, executives might want to take a page from the playbook of their lowest-profile brand: GMC.
May 15, 2014
- The roof keeps falling on General Motors in the form of five new recalls that collectively affect 2.7 million vehicles in the U.S. and a yet-unspecified number in Canada. That pushes to 18 the list of recalls announced by GM so far this year, with a total of 11 million units affected. The first recall involves the 2004-2012 Chevrolet Malibu, 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, 2005-2010 Pontiac G6, and 2007-2010 Saturn Aura (2.44 million units). Affected vehicles could have corrosion develop in...
May 8, 2014
- DIGITAL EDITOR ANDREW STOY: Few would argue this
April 18, 2014
- At an exhibit on the auto show floor here, I sat inside a Cadillac XTS sedan equipped with General Motors' new 4G LTE wireless connection. But I couldn't help but think: GM should have put the 4G demo unit in a Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra pickup.