September 17, 2013
- Nissan's goal with last year's launch of the new Altima was to take either the top sales spot away from the Toyota Camry or at least the No. 2 position from the Honda Accord. It's building momentum, but the sales crown won't come to the Altima this year. The good news: Altima is solidly in third place, well above the Ford Fusion and the sinking Chevrolet Malibu.
July 15, 2013
- Despite the vast quantities of Toyota Camrys which inhabit the modern American boulevard, it can be argued that the automotive world is currently undergoing one of the biggest performance booms it has ever seen. After a brief absence in the previous decade, the Chevy Camaro is once again fighting off the Ford Mustang- a car which can now supposedly top 200 miles an hour (at least in Shelby form). Across the Pacific Ocean, the Japanese have resurrected the inexpensive RWD sports car in the form...
November 29, 2012
- With each successive year, the electric vehicle is looking more and more like a realistic alternative to gas. Just take a look at how the segment has expanded, with offerings from Toyota, Honda, Ford, and Nissan. Now, GM is getting back in the EV game, offering an electrified version of the Chevrolet Spark.
November 6, 2012
- The upshot of the Sentra’s cabin is mainly one of space. There’s an absolute surplus of room. With 37.4 inches of rear legroom, the compact Sentra actually bests the mid-size Altima sedan. It also packs more space for backseat passengers than a host of competitors (Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Mazda3, Chevy Cruze, Ford Focus, and Hyundai Elantra). The Sentra isn’t just extra legroom, but space in general. With 95.9 cubic feet of interior volume and 15.1 cubic feet of cargo volume, the Sentra...
October 30, 2012
- This is the Morning Shift, our one-stop daily roundup of all the auto news that's actually important — all in one place at 9:00 AM. Or, you could spend all day waiting for other sites to parcel it out to you one story at a time. Isn't your time more important? More »
September 4, 2012
- The 2013 C-Max is a new nameplate Ford is launching into a hybrid market still dominated by Toyota, and with Hyundai, Kia and General Motors gaining traction.
August 29, 2012
- This is the Morning Shift, our one-stop daily roundup of all the auto news that's actually important — all in one place at 9:00 AM. Or, you could spend all day waiting for other sites to parcel it out to you one story at a time. Isn't your time more important?
July 25, 2012
- Toyota bounced back from safety recalls and natural disasters, selling 4.97 million vehicles globally in the first half of the year to retake its crown as the world's top automaker from General Motors Co.
July 16, 2012
- America's affinity for small, practical trucks is practically dead. The Ford Ranger and Chevy S10 are gone, Toyota and Nissan's "small" pickups have swollen to proportions approaching those of full sized trucks, and Jeeps are, well, Jeeps.
June 4, 2012
- If you can get over the engine (and I can), then the Azera is an excellent big sedan. Its ride balances being smooth and quiet without feeling completely detached from the road like a Toyota Avalon or Buick Lacrosse. Wind and road noise are well controlled, as well.
May 30, 2012
- When automakers report May sales Friday, Toyota is expected to recapture more of the sales it lost last year. As Toyota regains ground, it could even top Ford in May for second-place in U.S. sales, behind General Motors.
April 17, 2012
- Richard Peterson bought a battery-and-gasoline-powered Chevrolet Volt three months ago, just as gas prices began to spike. Since then, he has managed to drive it on electric power only for his daily commute between home in Brentwood and work in Franklin. His total gasoline consumption the past 90 days has been a mere 1.2 gallons. The only thing electric and hybrid car enthusiasts need now is more Richard Petersons. Only the Toyota Prius has turned in stellar sales totals recently, finishing...
March 27, 2012
- Car enthusiasts don't particularly care about the Buick-wannabe Avalon. It's an expensive FWD car for older people. Judging by this teaser of a new American-designed sedan for the New York Auto Show next month, Toyota's at least trying to shave the average buyer age in the sub-AARP zone.
March 20, 2012
- Not happy with the Volt getting all the burning-hybrid headlines, the new Toyota Prius race car caught fire yesterday during Super GT testing in Okayama, Japan.
March 16, 2012
- Sales of the Chevy Volt remain so weak that even with higher gas prices, GM had to shut production down for five weeks. Compare that to the brand new compact Toyota Prius C, which outsold a month's worth of Volts and Nissan Leafs in just three days. Beware the Ides of March.