September 3, 2014
- For me, the Cadillac Escalade has always been a bit of a guilty pleasure vehicle. This is a machine that I shouldn't like, but for some reason I'm oddly attracted to said vehicle. I once took a 900-mile road trip in a last-generation Escalade Platinum Hybrid. With four adults seated comfortably, the journey was a breeze. Still, that ungainly machine was extremely expensive on the window sticker yet it didn't quite pair that price with...
June 3, 2014
- General Motors takes their Voltec plug-in hybrid technology - first seen in the Chevrolet Volt - upmarket with the Cadillac ELR coupe. With a full driving range of 340 miles between its 16.5kWh lithium-ion battery pack and 1.4-liter,gas-powered generator (or 37 miles on electricity only), the ELR offers an alternative to premium all-electric offerings like the Tesla Model S to buyers who're concerned about range limitations and charging times.
February 20, 2014
- Yesterday, we learned that certain dealers are saying "no thanks" to the Cadillac ELR on the grounds that the premium plug-in hybrid is a tough sell in some markets, plus potentially expensive retrofits and training. Now it turns out BMW has their own electric dealer woes. Read more...
February 19, 2014
- Cadillac has 940 dealerships in the U.S., but nearly half of them have said "thanks but no thanks" to the hybrid plug-in Cadillac ELR. It's not because they don't want to deal with rich guys in shorts who run around their mansions yelling about how the French get too many vacation days. Read more...
February 15, 2014
- Chevys (Chevy's? Chevies?) have come a long way since back in the day. Now you can get them with all sorts of fancy gizmos, like magnetic ride control, plug-in hybrid systems, and heads-up displays. But in 1971, you'd be ever-so-grateful that your Chevy Monte Carlo came with a proper entryway. Read more...
November 27, 2013
- This is the Chevy Volt of helicopters. Excuse me, it's not a helicopter, it's a Volocopter. It's the result of German company e-volo, which has decided that the helicopter as we know it needs some rethinking for the 21st century. Read more...
October 4, 2013
- Porsche has published a new video highlighting the 918 Spyder and its mega-cool, massively potent hybrid powertrain (you know, the one that propelled the car around the Nürburgring in under seven minutes).
September 27, 2012
- Until now, Chevy only offered its Malibu as a mild-hybrid Eco and a rather tepid 2.5-liter four-pot. The arrival of the 2.0T delivers a healthy power boost to the Bowtie’s bread-and-butter sedan.
September 4, 2012
- The 2013 C-Max is a new nameplate Ford is launching into a hybrid market still dominated by Toyota, and with Hyundai, Kia and General Motors gaining traction.
July 24, 2012
- This fall, Ford will begin selling the C-MAX Energi, the plug-in version of its hybrid utility vehicle. Ford claims that it will be able to travel 20 miles in electric only mode, putting it ahead of the Prius plug-in and not far behind the much smaller Chevrolet Volt.
June 8, 2012
- At a starting price of $17,275, the Chevy Cruze will never be confused with a BWW or Benz. But go ahead and snicker – the Cruze currently gets the best non-hybrid mileage of any car on the road today
May 27, 2012
- When it comes to being convinced of the merits of the half car/half truck hybrid pretty much any argument no matter how ridiculous or far-fetched will work—at least for us.
April 25, 2012
- The Malibu Eco has a smooth, unfussy ride, but it hardly communicates with its driver at all. The hybrid system neither intrudes, nor adds to the driving experience. Steering feel is slightly more talkative, but is outclassed by other vehicles at this price point. Seating position is surprisingly conducive to aggressive driving.
April 24, 2012
- The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco is a competent highway cruiser with a good baseline of cabin tech, but its eAssist mild-hybrid system doesn't really deliver the miles per gallon.
April 17, 2012
- Richard Peterson bought a battery-and-gasoline-powered Chevrolet Volt three months ago, just as gas prices began to spike. Since then, he has managed to drive it on electric power only for his daily commute between home in Brentwood and work in Franklin. His total gasoline consumption the past 90 days has been a mere 1.2 gallons. The only thing electric and hybrid car enthusiasts need now is more Richard Petersons. Only the Toyota Prius has turned in stellar sales totals recently, finishing...